Hawke's Bay Wines
- Almost 5,000 hectares planted, 91 wineries and 145 independent grape growers.
- Most produce less than 200,000 litres per annum and are family owned.
- Wine production annually is generally 43% red and 57% white.
- 73% of NZ's full bodied red wine vintage, over 84% of the NZ Syrah vintage.
- NZ's largest planting of red wine grape varieties
- 30% of NZ's total Chardonnay producing hectares
- 2200 annual average sunshine hours
- 25 separate classifications of soil types in the Heretaunga Plains
- Oldest wine region in NZ with beginnings in the the 1850's.
"Simply put, Hawke's Bay produces some of the finest flavoured, complex, textural chardonnays in the new world, and the warm low vigour vineyards of the region produce, at their best, rich elegant ripe red wines based on either Merlot or Syrah. Nowhere else in New Zealand can do this. These are the wines that we love...it's why we are here!"
Steve Smith MW, Craggy Range Winery